Some of these people foods could be deadly to your dog:
- Grapes and raisins: They can cause kidney failure in dogs. As little as a single serving of raisins can kill a dog.
- Chocolate: Can cause seizures, coma and death. Baker's chocolate is the most dangerous. A dog can consume milk chocolate and appear to be fine because it is not as concentrated, but it is still dangerous.
- Onions: Destroy red blood cells and can cause anemia.
- Coffee, coffee grounds, tea and tea bags: Drink/foods containing caffeine cause many of the same symptoms chocolate causes.
- Bones: Cooked bones can splinter and damage a dog's internal organs. Raw bone should always be supervised as a piece can always break off and cause problems. Try frozen oxtails or frozen knuckle bones then take the bone away before the dog can swallow the last small piece whole. It's also a good natural way to clean teeth.
- Tomatoes: Can cause tremors and heart arrhythmias. Tomato plants are the most toxic, but tomatoes themselves are also unsafe.
- Avocados: The fruit, pit and plant are all toxic. They can cause difficulty breathing and fluid accumulation in the chest, abdomen and heart.
- Nutmeg: Can cause tremors, seizures and death.
- Apples, cherries, peaches pits: and similar fruit are great for your dog - HOWEVER, the seeds of these fruits contain cyanide, which is poisonous to dogs as well as humans. Unlike humans, dogs do not know to stop eating at the core/pit and easily ingest them. It can also become lodged in the intestines and kill the dog in 24 hours with no warning.
Raw eggs: Can cause salmonella poisoning in dogs. Dogs have a shorter digestive tract than humans and are not as likely to suffer from food poisoning, but it is still possible. BEST to use ORGANIC EGGS if you do raw. Scrambled lightly is best.